Good Shepherd

Good Shepherd

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

D&C 52: 33

“Yea, verily I say, let all these take their journey unto one place, in their several courses, and one man shall not build upon another’s foundation, neither journey in another’s track.”

                This scripture is about many sets of men, missionaries, going to one place. They are all going by a different path as to spread the gospel to the most people. Even though this is the literal meaning of the scripture, I think it can be applied to us in a different way. It can be applied to our testimony.
                We all must receive a testimony for ourselves. For those of us who were born into the church we share the testimony of our parents, but we cannot ‘build upon another’s foundation’. We must seek our own path. Even though our path may be different and our testimony may come by different experiences, it leads us to the same place as our parents. We will have many unique experiences from our parents and from other members of the church that will form a foundation for us. A testimony is a personal realization and is thus a different path.
                These different paths are the ‘several courses’. It is possible for a person has a testimony at a young age, or that they develop it on their missions.  My mother had to find the church and then gain a testimony. Her path was different from mine and I cannot build on her foundation, her foundation cannot support my testimony, only a foundation that I have built up myself will support my testimony. I was born into the church and had to find my testimony within a community of active members. We both have a testimony, but our testimony is unique to us and is built on our own foundations.

No comments:

Post a Comment